Published: Wed, November 15, 2017
Sports | By Spencer Underwood

Oscar De La Hoya Challenges Conor McGregor To A Fight

Oscar De La Hoya Challenges Conor McGregor To A Fight

"I helped train a guy to kill someone, and then someone wound up dying". I'm faster than ever and stronger than ever.

Not surprisingly, the fall out from Conor McGregor's actions at Bellator 187 last Friday continues to roll on, as now the event's regulator has claimed that the UFC's put the champ on the shelf for the rest of the year. I ll come back for that fight.

"You will clearly see from the video replay that I only step across and do not wave the fight off. Charlie Ward, understandably so had reeled off in celebration thinking that I had indeed ended the contest and not as I had actually done, called time on what I believed to be the end of the round".

As you've surely heard, and or seen by now, McGregor has been in hot water, after he flipped out on officials at the Dublin card. He finished his career with a 39-6 record and 30 knockouts. He retired shortly afterward, having lost three of his last five fights.

Prior to McGregor's boxing match against Floyd Mayweather, De La Hoya denounced the fight as a "money grab" that could tarnish the sport of boxing forever.

McGregor scaled the fencing in order to celebrate with Charlie Ward after his win over John Redmond at Bellator 187.

"McGregor got stopped by Mayweather, that's the bottom line".

Although a fight has yet to be officially confirmed, De La Hoya has said he is willing to take on the Irishman in the ring.

More news: Australia says yes to same-sex marriage in postal survey

There's no time frame for a return right now, or whether the UFC would be interested in another co-promotion with De La Hoya's "Golden Boy Promotions".

Apparently, McGregor's behavior also got him removed from December 30's UFC 219 fight card, according to Association of Boxing Commissions President and Combative Sports Director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation Mike Mazzulli (h/t Ariel Helwani's MMA Hour).

The question is whether the public would be interested in seeing De La Hoya-McGregor. De La Hoya said he has no intention of going into the cage for an MMA bout. "I don't care if it was anyone else jumping in the cage, we don't do that as a professional". He would freaking destroy me.

So what about De La Hoya?

Boxing Hall of Famer Oscar De La Hoya remains confident that he still can handle himself in the ring. "I don t know what it is, but I ll tell you now that I ve never felt so good before in my life".

De La Hoya has battled drug and alcohol addiction, has been to rehabilitation multiple times and now faces charges stemming from a DUI arrest earlier in the year.

De La Hoya flirted with the idea of a comeback in June 2015 only to rule it out a week later. The UFC will probably find somebody else for him to fight, and he'll still get paid.

Like this: