Published: Wed, December 06, 2017
Culture&Arts | By Darrell Mcdonald

Homeless man saves 2 young children from burning apartment

Homeless man saves 2 young children from burning apartment

Anival Angulo, 36, who is now homeless, was walking by an apartment building just before noon on Friday when he noticed smoke coming from the building, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

When Anival Angulo, 36, saw smoke coming from an East Valley home on East Mesquite Avenue, he chose to go around the building to find the source at about 11:30 a.m. Friday, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue said. He saw the little girl standing near the door in the smoke-filled apartment but she could not open the door.

"I knew I had to get them out", Angulo told KSNV-TV.

Both kids were taken to University Medical Center where they were checked for minor smoke inhalation.

The 36-year-old homeless man then heard the cries of children coming from the building and jumped into action.

"I wrapped up the babies and pulled them out", Angulo told the television station.

The girl and the 10-month-old baby were treated for minor smoke inhalation at the hospital, but are expected to be okay, according to Las Vegas Fire and Rescue. Firefighters went in the front door looking for the children and battled the blaze which was also in the front of the apartment.

More news: Metropolitan Opera suspends conductor James Levine over sexual abuse claims

Fire officials say that without Angulo's help, the two kids likely would have died.

Angulo then saw the tiny leg of an infant and pulled the other child to safety as well.

The fire was under control in about 20 minutes - and it wasn't immediately clear how much the apartment was damaged, according to the report.

The American Red Cross is helping the family displaced by the fire, according to KVVU.

The grandfather was in another part of the house when the fire started and was separated from the children.

Authorities said the fire has been deemed an accident and started with a pan and cooking grease on the stove and quickly spread across the kitchen. "The fire gutted the kitchen and living room, there was heavy heat and smoke damage to the rest of the apartment".

Firefighters say without Angulo's actions, the children probably would have suffered severe smoke inhalation and burns.

Like this: