Published: Wed, December 06, 2017
World | By Melba Underwood

House Of Cards To Return Without Kevin Spacey

House Of Cards To Return Without Kevin Spacey

Netflix has announced production on the sixth season of House of Cards will resume early next year - without Kevin Spacey.

These changes and the production re-launch - initially suspended after the Spacey scandal broke - were announced by Netflix content chief Ted Sarandos on Monday.

Sarandos said that they are "excited to bring closure to fans", as the raft of sexual harassment allegations against the "American Beauty" star had already put the series' future in doubt, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Work on the show had been halted following allegations of sexual misconduct against Spacey. Production on the House of Cards set had been shut down ever since, as Media Rights Capital investigated the situation.

Robin Wright, who has starred alongside Spacey since the beginning of the series, playing wife Claire to his Frank Underwood, seemed the frontrunner to be shifted to lead, particularly after having ended the last season as the reigning president.

More news: Fox's James Murdoch Declines to Address Disney Talks

The season will be eight episodes - significantly shorter than previous seasons, which featured 13 episodes each - and will not include Kevin Spacey, who led the show to critical acclaim but was sacked after a series of sexual assault allegations this fall. It was considered likely that Spacey would be written out of the show.

In November, Netflix said it wouldn't be involved with the series if Spacey remained. The final season was originally supposed to run 13 episodes.

On Nov. 26, Media Rights Capital announced that it had extended its production hiatus for another two weeks until December 8. The streaming service also sacked a film that was in the works with Spacey as well.

Like this: