Published: Sun, January 14, 2018
World | By Melba Underwood

LA Man Charged in Kansas for Fatal Hoax Call

LA Man Charged in Kansas for Fatal Hoax Call

At the tail end of 2017, we reported on the disastrous news of an innocent man being shot and killed after getting inadvertently tied to a swatting "prank" gone horribly wrong following an online Call of Duty match.

Stroth says while they do want to see Barriss held responsible for allegedly making the swatting phone call, he adds, Barriss did not pull the trigger.

Calgary police said Tuesday they have charged Tyler Raj Barriss, 25, of Los Angeles, with mischief and fraud charges following the incident on December 22 that saw officers along with police dogs surround the unnamed woman's apartment.

The player who was the "target" of the offended player had provided the latter with a false address that led the police to Finch's home.

Barriss was arrested in a Los Angeles transitional recovery center, law enforcement sources told NBC. The shooting is still under investigation, police said. The caller that night claimed to have murdered his father and said he was holding his mother and sister at gunpoint. He gave an address.

More news: London Mayor Sadiq Khan says Trump 'got the message' over United Kingdom visit

While officers were at the scene trying to confirm what happened, another 911 call came in from a woman who lived at the same address. Siegenthaler said she had with Barriss earlier in the day, but did not elaborate on their relationship. Officers said they believed he was reaching for a weapon, and fired, killing him.

Siegenthaler said it's unlikely that Barriss will be extradited to Canada, but that he would be arrested if he entered the country.

Tyler Raj Barriss is accused by the state of Kansas of making a false 9-1-1 call to Wichita Police that led to the "swatting" death of Andrew Finch who was not part of the ongoing argument between Barriss and another Call of Duty: WWII player.

When Finch opened the door he was caught off guard and made a move to cover his eyes-being blinded at the time by the presence of police spotlights.

Since the shooting the officers name has been kept under wraps and no information has been released from the DA's office.

Like this: