3 years, 3 months ago by
Repetitive use of the outlet led to the loose connection
UPDATE: The Quincy Fire Department has issued a news release regarding cause of Thursday's Sprout's Inn fire.
"QFD investigators and an investigator representing the owner's insurance company have determined that repetitive use of an electrical outlet over an extended period of time caused a loose terminal connection on the outlet, resulting in overheating."
Sprout's Inn, a popular Quincy restaurant on the city's north side, has been destroyed by fire.
The four alarm fire call came in just before 1 a.m.
Denise Donley was on the scene for Quincy Journal and WTAD.
Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning said the building will be a total loss.
Heavy black smoke was coming out of the restaurant's attic when crews arrived. Firefighters entered the building, but then left as it became apparent the structure could not be saved.
When crews began to open up the wall where it is believed the fire started, they saw the fire had spread and black smoke had filled the building.
As crews tried to get through the roof, they encountered multiple layers of roof from past remodeling, which made it difficult to get water on the fire.
Henning said the fire got worse really quick, so firefighters evacuated and went purely defensive, using aerial vehicles to fight the fire.
Henning said response was delayed a bit as crews were already on the scene of another fire in the 1600 block of Sycamore when the call came in.
Henning adds there is no idea of a cause of the fire at this time. He also said the investigation will be difficult with this magnitude of loss.
Jenny Wiemelt's family has owned Sprout's Inn for many years and says they will rebuild, hopefully in the same spot.
Wiemelt adds she wishes she could have grabbed her reservation book because she cares so much about her customer's upcoming parties and celebrations.
Clean up crews were in the building at the time of the call, but no one was injured.
Sprout's Inn has been in business since 1940 and has 72 employees.